Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sometimes it's the little things

...that put a smile on your face:
what a thoroughly unpleasant woman

That's a good start, but there are still more media figures to be publicly shamed for being terrible human beings-- so let's get on that right away.












Copyright 1952, 1971 printing


Instead of Touhou remix, today it's Vocaloids:



In case you don't know about it, Vocaloid is a computer program that simulates voices and can be programmed to sing whatever words you want. People obsess over them, draw them, make them sing bajillions of popular songs, and even write and produce original songs for them. This is an original song and I think it's really pretty.

I don't know if all the vocaloid models are like this, but I was informed that Megurine Luka (the pink haired character) was programmed from a sample of a voice actress (I forget her name but she was Sakaki in Azumanga Daioh, and I always thought she had a pretty voice.) The blue haired character is Hatsune Miku. She sounds a little high pitched and girly for my preference, but sounds alright when she's put in with Luka. Luka is the best sounding one. There are guy vocaloids too, but I don't really care about guy singers that much.

Interestingly all of their names contain a kanji for 'sound', which is the 'ne'

It probably sounds weird, but I've heard at least a couple of Luka ones that I wouldn't have been able to recognize as a simulator if I didn't already know what it was. YMMV though, and some are programmed better than others although I have no idea how that works.

That's your daily nerd information that no one really needed to know, and I'm ashamed of being able to retain that many facts about something so irrelevant, but my brain just works that way.


5 comments:

  1. Haha, I've got 3 hours of Miku as my workout music (when it's not Touhou). a bit of everything, some soothing and calm, other more rythmic. I really like "no more chains" and "celestial symphony".

    Nice illustrations, the third one is frightening, I don't really like deep waters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's mostly touhou for me lately. Only because those are the most recent things I've listened to, so I have to cycle thru the stuff I've worn out...

    D: I love octopi! They're so smart and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm listening to Touhou a lot now, mostly piano/violin arranges I linked to you. I like listening to those while drawing.

    Yeah, smart and awesome, except for the ones in that dream, you know the one where you're swimming in very deep, very dark water, and suddenly you look down and two yellow eyes are staring at you while you feel something pulling you under...

    But I agree that it's highly unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if you have nightmares about them, that's quite understandable... LOL. I've never really thought about them that way, I just think they're fascinating.

    (someone linked me the other day, a vid of a large Pacific octopus pwning a shark... well after seeing that I can almost imagine why someone would be afraid of them, hahah)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what species fascinate you amongst aquatic wildlife, and why?

    ReplyDelete