Friday, January 28, 2011

Day of the Dinosaur, by John Man


Waldenbooks LOL I'm old

Goodwill find. It's likely that I read this book at some point when I was small, but I don't remember. Its chief points of interest are being old (1978) and having a lot of Neave Parker illustrations.


This is my favorite of the non-Parker illustrations. For the record, most of those are merely serviceable. There are however a lot of photos, vintage art and such, and even a profile of Franz Nopcsa, all-around total badass superhero of paleontology, espionage, and awesomeness and, if there is any justice, future subject of an epic movie (also, gay. Seriously, read about him.)




badass retro


Things were... slimier in the '60's,apparently .




What's a paleo book without a timeline...?

Unusually for a book this old (I think?) the text assumes birds to have descended from dinosaurs and has quite a bit about Archaeopteryx. At least, I don't remember this being a mainstream thing in books from that time, but I could be wrong. I was still a baby when this book was written, and don't remember the dinosaur-t0-bird descent being a given in all books of my time, either.

_______


RIP Luna, my sweet little budgie. She died of a mysterious illness that showed itself too late for the vet to do any real good and I'm so sorry. I've been pretty upset for a few days. Since Loki has never been kept alone, I was afraid of him getting lonely and stressed out, so I got a new friend. Her (?) name is Okuu (お空.)




空 or 'sora' (Chinese reading 'kuu') is the character for sky. I didn't actually have a name in mind, but it was suggested in comments. Only because she is sky blue, and not because she has anything in common with the namesake Okuu/Reiuji Utsuho, the nuclear fusion powered hell raven from Chireiden:At least two differences: she's missing the arm cannon and Chernobyl elephant's foot (not pictured here)


More Touhou vocal trance arrange, by Sound Online (Tsukasa)


Eternal Rite
Nostalgia
Cosmos Glide
,
Tsukasa contributes to East New Sound, with which I'm also obsessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment