Saturday, November 13, 2010

Rubber dinosaurs interim post


Found these at a thrift store last week, they're thin, hollow ceramic, bottom is unlabeled, just firing marks as if they were home made or something. Was something like this commercially available, I wonder? They're delightfully ugly, well okay, the Stego is pretty cute but the other one is rather unfortunate.



I can't remember where the models for these figures are from, I know it's some old illustration and maybe a vintage toy mold based upon such. Particulary the crippled-looking hadrosaur I know I've seen before. Maybe I'm just losing my memory. Can't find anything at the moment in my image collection nor on the toy dinosaurs site I had bookmarked.

This is new (to me)


JP Dilophosaur, ugly and wrong and he's missing part of a finger! But kind of cute anyway.




Old, found this trike and baby at an antique store in Portland. There was a sauropod (of some kind) figure with it, but it wasn't nearly as cute. To be honest Trike isn't my favorite but I still like this one. It's a resin-type figure and there's no mark or ID on it.


New Carnegie and Safari
I want the Inostrancevia and Miragaia... Guanlong looks 'shopped right now, so it's hard to tell how it will come out? T-Rex is cute, but I'm bored of rex. Kaprosuchus looks pretty lively, though.

These are really pretty models

__

I saw two dinosaur-related books at the store the other night and both of them were a bust. Is there a really good explanation for why the publishing industry seems to be violently allergic to non-3D paleo art right now, or is it just cheaper for them or something? Because all of it is horrible.

There was also another re-packaging of something-or-other into a Children's Encyclopedia of dinosaurs, judging by the fact that most of the illustrations were from this Dixon encyclopedia I just posted about last week... but I couldn't tell if anything else in the book was new.




There are actually three versions of this track, I discovered after realizing the one on my mp3 player was not the same as this one. It took a long time to figure out that the one I had was the original, while this was the Cross-Hearts/Re-miniscence version, and there's a third version on an extra disc from the 3-disc Re-miniscence issue (3rd disc is instrumentals.) Anyway, this is the most energetic version, but all of them are good. Since it's from the same game, which I've played lately (Perfect Cherry Blossom), I'll add this other one that I'm also obsessing over




It's from the same album(s) so all the above holds true for this track as well, but this is a mashup of two pieces (stage 5 theme, and ending theme you get when you complete the game).

3 comments:

  1. I have almost the same dilophosaur. Unfortunately not a safari...

    BTW isn't the neck frill on your picture upside down?
    Also I removed mine from the dinosaur as I think there never was any evidence for its presence. What do you think about it?

    Ps: I love the first arrange, been listening to it for a week now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea. Probably, I didn't mess with the frill. :P The whole idea of it was retarded and silly so I figure it looks just as dumb either way. I haven't figured out where to display it yet cos it fell over the first time I put it with my others, LOL.

    Speaking of dilophosaur... I've never been a big fan of Dilo especially, but the recent Safari one is rather lively and attractive and I kind of want it O_O

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dinosaurs were commercially available at craft stores, but they were offered unglazed. Growing up my grandmother made a whole series of these for me, even a lamp out of the diplodocus! So they're fantastically ugly because someone made them so.

    ReplyDelete